Did I buy a new laptop? Can’t wait to get started? Before you start downloading and streaming, check out this quick list of essential things to do beforehand you’ll save stress later!
Some people say that laptops are no longer necessary: They are less portable than tablets and less powerful than desktop PCs, riding a strange “worst of both worlds” line. But I still love them, and I think they are always useful, especially if you are a student. 5 Reasons Every Student Should Use A Chromebook Looking for a new computer for your college work? Forget about a new Mac and ignore Windows. What you need is a Chromebook here are five reasons. Read more. Maybe you agree.
So you went ahead and bought a new laptop for work, did you? Or maybe you got one as a gift to go to college? These next few years will be a joy to you, but only if you take the time right now to set it up correctly.
Besides, here are a handful of things to do with a new laptop. A small energy investment upfront can save you tons of headaches and frustration down the road.
Also read: Netflix Advantages and Disadvantages – is it Worth it?
1. Update the Operating System
Whether you bought the laptop beginning at a physical store or off the internet, it has likely been sitting for several months. Your computer won’t be ready if updates emerged during that time, and updates are more important than you might think.
- On Windows, turn on Windows Update How to Windows Update in Windows 10 For control curiosities, Windows Update is frightening. It works in the context and keeps your system safe and running smoothly. We show you how it everything and what you can modify. Read more. I know it’s annoying, and I know it always seems to be triggered at the worst times, but it’s a small price to pay for safety.
- On Mac, keep up to date with software updates A complete guide to updating your Mac software There is no one-size-fits-all maintenance solution, so it’s worth understanding how they work updates for your Mac and its software. Read more when you get an alert about them. Don’t sleep, snooze, and snooze. Otherwise, you may be a victim of malware one day.
- On Linux, updates are more useful than security updates but just as important. Learn more about managing and updating software packages. Which Linux Is Package Manager (and Distro) Right For You? Which Linux Is Package Manager (and Distro) Right For You? A critical difference between the major Linux distributions is the package manager; the differences are strong enough to influence distribution choice. Let’s see how the various package managers work. Read more and update the Linux kernel. How to update Linux kernel to improve system performance The Linux kernel has regular releases. They offer new features and enhancements that you should expect in a news release distribution unless you manually update the Linux kernel. We show you how. Read more.
- In Chrome OS, everything remains handled behind the scenes. Every time you’re attached to Wi-Fi, Chrome OS checks for updates and downloads any that remain found. Near install, all you have to do is reboot the device.
2. Remove Bloatware
Bloatware is unwanted or unnecessary preloaded software for the end-user. These apps remain rarely used, but they waste tons of valuable space. Windows laptop manufacturers are notorious for this, while it rarely happens on Mac, Linux, and Chrome OS laptops.
It is essential to learn how to avoid Bloatware How to remove and prevent Bloatware on new laptops How to remove Bloatware and avoid it on new laptops Tired of software that never wanted to consume your laptop resources? Your computer is not free ad space. Here’s how to get rid of Bloatware. Read Further More, but if you’re reading this, it’s too late. You already have the laptop in hand, it’s full of Bloatware, and you want to get rid of it.
The easiest way to remove third-party Bloatware? Install One Of These Bulk Uninstallers 3 Best Third-Party Uninstallers And Why You Need Them 3 Best Third-Party Uninstallers And Why You Need Them to uninstall a Windows program. You can’t just hit ‘Remove’ you have to run the software uninstaller. Unfortunately, the option ‘Uninstall a program’ in the Windows Control Panel does not entirely remove it. Read More They will scan your system for all installed apps and allow you to remove the ones you don’t want ultimately. Make sure to check the importance of an app before releasing it! A Google search should be sufficient.
3. Install Antivirus Software
All laptops need antivirus software, yes, even Mac and Linux. 4 Cybersecurity Myths That Must Die. 4 Cybersecurity Myths That Must Die. Read more! It is a myth that Windows is the only vulnerable operating system these days. If you let your guard down, you may be the victim of severe attacks like ransomware.
That is why we recommend installing antivirus software. If you don’t want a background service that protects you in real-time, at least get a manual tool like Malwarebytes and scan your computer for infections once a week.
- Recommended Windows Antivirus Software 5 Best Free Internet Security Suites for Windows 5 Best Free Internet Security Suites for Windows Which Security Suite Do You Trust Most? We appearance at five of the best free security suites for Windows, all of which offer virus, antimalware, and real-time protection features. read more
- Recommended Mac antivirus software 9 Apple Mac Antivirus options to consider today 9 Apple Mac Antivirus options you should consider today By now, you should know that Macs need antivirus software, but which one to choose? These nine safety suites will help you stay free from viruses, Trojans, and all types of malware. read more
- Recommended Linux Antivirus Software Top 7 Free Linux Antivirus Programs Top 7 Free Linux Antivirus Programs Read More
- Chromebooks incorporate protection against malware and viruses.
4. Install Anti-theft Software
Laptop theft is one of the worst things that can happen. Not only is the device lost, but also all the critical data on it. Once taken, a laptop can be nearly impossible to retrieve. 5 Things You Can Do To Get Your Stolen Laptop Back 5 Things You Can Do To Get Your Stolen Items Back The theft of laptops from the laptop accounts for millions of dollars of annual loss in the United States alone. These figures include the physical value of the device and the associated costs when the company information and. Read More
Fortunately, Windows 10 has a built-in security feature. 7 Windows 10 security features and how to use them. 7 Windows 10 security features and in what way to use them. Windows 10 is all about security. Microsoft recently initiated its partners that in sales, Windows 10 security features should be the primary focus. How does Windows 10 keep this promise? Let’s find out! Read more called Find My Device ( Find my device) to locate your laptop if it ever was lost or stolen.
If you don’t like that feature, or you’re on Mac or Linux, you can always use Prey’s free version (also mobile-friendly).
In addition to anti-theft software, check out these tips to keep your laptop protected. Preparing Your Laptop For A Theft How To Prepare Your Laptop For A Theft The significant risk for altogether portable devices is theft. Not only do you risk bringing up the rear an expensive piece of hardware, but a stolen laptop also contains private and potentially sensitive data, for example, photos, Read More
5. Optimize Power Settings
If laptops are all about portability, then maximizing battery life should be a priority. A few simple alterations can mean the difference between six hours and nine hours per charge.
First, reduce the brightness of the screen. Please don’t knock it down too much. It could cause visual and mental fatigue. Do you often feel tired at the office? The problem could be in the few bad habits that you have picked up. Take the tiredness out of your office life with these health-building tips.
Read More, but less brightness translates to longer battery life. In Windows, you can modify the power options. Windows 7 Power Options and Sleep Modes Windows 7 Power Options and Sleep Modes Explained When Windows 7 remains there unconstrained, one of Microsoft’s selling points was that it stood designed to help your battery last longer. One of the main features that users will notice is that the screen dims earlier. Read more to make the screen dim when the laptop is not connected. On Mac, you can adjust the Power Saving feature. How to improve the battery life of your MacBook While current MacBooks are quite powerful, they have the same battery life as their predecessors. So what can you do? A little, it turns out. Read more to do the same.
Consider using Sleep and Hibernate modes Sleep vs. Hibernate Mode: What Power Saving Mode Should You Use? Sleep Mode vs. Hibernate Mode: Which Power-Saving Mode Must You Use? What exactly does the Sleep mode do? How is it not the same as Hibernate mode, which is an additional option on Windows computers? Which one should you choose, and are there drawbacks to using them? Read more for your operating system. These can preserve a great deal of battery life when traveling with your laptop in tow.
Lastly, stop using Chrome. It is known to be a significant drain on the battery. Yes, there are ways to reduce your stress. 3 Quick Tips to Reduce Chrome’s CPU Battery Use and Drain 3 Quick Tips to Reduce Chrome’s CPU Battery Use and Drain Does Chrome use too much CPU and drain your battery? There may be a way to reduce their impact. Read More, but it is still worse than other browsers. We recommend using Opera, which comes with a nifty battery saver mode. How to quit Chrome for Opera Will improve battery life. Leaving Chrome for Opera Will enhance battery life. In attendance is a possibility that Google Chrome is the battery life problem your laptop battery. Fortunately, Opera might have the solution, with its built-in battery saver mode. It is what you need to know. Read more.
6. Configure Automated Backups
Imagine where you will be in six months your laptop is now full of official papers, projects, presentations.
Don’t let that happen. Set up a backup system now while you can.
Windows 10 has several native backup methods The Best Windows 10 Backup Guide The Ultimate Windows 10 Backup Guide We’ve summed up all the backup, restore, recovery, and repair options we could find in Windows 10. Use our simple tips and never despair of lost data again! Read more, including System Restore, Backup and Restore Recovery Drive Creator and more. Mac has the Time Machine feature, but you can always go for one of these backup solutions if you don’t like it. 5 Local Mac Backup Solutions That Are Not Time Machine 5 Local Mac Backup Solutions That Are Not Time Machine. Many of the Mac backup options And many of them have features that Apple’s default backup app can’t compete using. Read more instead.
Linux also has several backup tools and utilities. How to Backup Data in Ubuntu and Other Distributions How to Backup Data in Ubuntu and Other Distributions How much sensitive information would you lose if your disk drive died? You naturally need a backup solution, but backing up on Linux can be tricky if you don’t know what you’re doing that will conveniently save your data.
Linux also has various backup tools and utilities. How to Backup Data in Ubuntu and Other Distributions How to Backup Data in Ubuntu and Other Distributions How much confidential information would you lose if your disk drive died? You naturally need a backup solution, but backing up on Linux can be tricky if you don’t know what you’re doing that will conveniently save your data. Linux also has several backup tools and utilities. How to Backup Data in Ubuntu and Other Distributions How to Backup Data in Ubuntu and Other Distributions How much sensitive information would you lose if your disk drive died? You naturally need a backup solution, but backing up on Linux can be tricky if you don’t know what you’re doing that will conveniently save your data.
7. Set up cloud storage and sync
Cloud storage is a great way to make your data accessible no matter where you are, and it can even act as a kind of semi-mirror system. What is cloud storage? Keeping synchronized copies of your files on a remote server.
If your laptop ever dies or is stolen, your files are still in the cloud.
Further, the three most popular services are Dropbox, Google Drive, and OneDrive Dropbox vs. Google Drive vs. OneDrive: Which Cloud Storage Is Top For You? Dropbox vs. Google Drive against OneDrive: Which Cloud Storage Is Best For You? Consume you altered the method you think approximately cloud storage? The widely held options of Dropbox, Google Drive, and OneDrive have joined others. We help you with a response to which covers storage service you should use. Read more. Each has its pros and cons, but they all offer free plans, so give them a try and see which one you like best. I identify with Google Drive, mainly because I trust Google Docs every day.
8. Minimize heat damage
Don’t forget that laptops are more susceptible to heat. Your computer is a fragile piece of machinery. It’s a complex system packed with fast hardware, but it’s also in constant use. It is how it prolongs its life. Read more about both desktops and tablets. Desktop cases are big enough for adequate ventilation, and tablets don’t have to worry about dust accumulation, while laptops have poor air circulation and lots of dust accumulation points.
Bottom ventilation and dust clogs equate to heat damage!
Excess heat can cause your CPU to underperform to produce less heat, which means slower system performance. Further, excess heat can also shorten the internal hard drive’s life and cause the batteries to lose their full charge capacity.
What can you do about it?
- Get a Laptop Tray The 5 Best Price Laptop Trays (And Why You Need One) The 5 Best Price Laptop Trays (And Why You Need One) I used to be a skeptic on a laptop, but after trying one, I’ve never been able to go back. Now I’m a believer! Here are the best laptop trays! Read more and stop using your laptop taking place on the carpet, bed, couch, and even on your lap. Continuously place it on a hard, flat surface to minimize dust entry.
- Get a portable cooler to improve airflow. If you can’t buy one for a while, some DIY ideas are for cooling a laptop. 5 Cool DIY Ways To Keep Your Laptop Cool. 5 Cool DIY Ways To Keep Your Laptop Cool. Read More. And yes, you need a refrigerator even with a tray.
- Install A Temperature Monitor These Laptop Temperature Monitor Applications Could Save Your Hard Drive These Laptop Temperature Monitor Applications Could Save Your Hard Drive Overheating is a leading cause of hardware failure. But heat can also slow down your computer. Use one of these applications to monitor and control the temperature of computer components. Read More so you can see when your system is heating up and shut down intensive applications (e.g., games, video editors, crypto miners) right away.
9. Customize the System Settings
Now that all maintenance-related responsibilities are out of the way, it’s time to make your laptop. So, go ahead and tweak the system theme, desktop background, taskbar layout, etc.
Do you need some ideas?
- Personalize and personalize Windows 10 Quick ways to personalize Windows 10 10 Quick ways to personalize and personalize Windows 10 Not all Windows 10 default settings will float your boat. We show you all the possible ways to customize Windows 10 in one simple, step-by-step guide. Read More Including New Start Menu Options 6 Ways To Hack And Customize The Windows 10 Start Menu 6 Ways To Hack And Customize The Windows 10 Start Menu combines classic items with modern tiles. Slating can add a lot of creative freedom. We’ll give you tips and tricks to customize the entire start menu to your preferences. Read more.
- Personalize and personalize Mac The seven best ways to personalize your Mac computer The seven best ways to personalize your Mac computer. And also, make your Mac more personal change the look of applications, your desktop, and the rest of OS X. Read more, including icons, wallpapers, and the Dock.
- Make Linux Feel Like Home 12 Useful Tweaks To Make Ubuntu Feel Like Home 12 Useful Tweaks To Make Ubuntu Feel We will show you some significant tweaks that can go a long way towards achieving the zen desktop. Read More, And Even Make Linux Look Like Mac Make Linux Look Like macOS With These Easy Tweaks If you like Linux but want it to look more like macOS, you’re on! Congratulations! Tenancy agreement, we walk you through the steps to make your Linux desktop look and feel like Apple’s macOS. Read more!
Windows 10 users should also pay attention to these features that are worth disabling. 9 Windows 10 Features You Can Securely Disable Windows 10 remains packed with features, but many of them are unnecessary. Here’s how to safely remove unwanted elements from your Windows 10 system for a more streamlined experience. Read More, These Tweaks To Make Windows 10 Less Annoying 10 More Windows 10 Features You Can Turn Off The Windows 10 Creators Update introduced a host of innovative features, settings, and apps. We display to you which features you can safely disable and improve your Windows experience. Read More Windows 10 features some announcements and promotions. We will show you where to find them and how to get rid of them. Read more.
10. Install your Favorite Applications
Now that your laptop is clean and prepared to go. It’s time to connect all the apps you think you’ll need. But before you go to download hundreds of different installation files, consider using Ninite.
Ninite creates a custom installation file based on the dozen popular apps you pick and choose from on the Ninite site. It then installs them using a single installer file. So, be sure to keep the installation file for later; you can rerun it at any time to update all applications as well.
But many applications are not available through Ninite, so we also recommend:
- The essential applications for Windows systems New PC? Twelve critical Windows applications Should you install First New PC? 12 Windows Applications You Should Have Installed You Must Install First If you just got a new computer, you might be wondering what series you need. Therefore, we show you the 12 most vital and best Windows tools that any user should install. read more
- The must-have applications for Mac systems Bought your first Mac? Install these 15 applications right away bought your first Mac? Install These 15 Apps Right Away Once you’ve finished admiring its glossy, glossy exterior, it’s time to get into the business of installing apps on your new Mac. Read More
- Must-have applications for Linux systems 11 Must-have applications in Ubuntu right after a recent installation 11 Must-have applications in Ubuntu right after a fresh installation Looking for a new Ubuntu installation and feeling a bit lost? We have compiled this list of the first eleven applications you will need to install. read more
11. Start using a VPN
A virtual private network (VPN) might sound daunting, but using one is simple download and run an app. And also, the app encrypts your connection, protects against eavesdropping, allows you to access region-blocked content, and makes it harder to track web activity.
Along with a host of other helpful benefits, 10 Reasons You Should Use a VPN Virtual private networks are affordable and easy to use. Here is why you should have a VPN installed along with a firewall and antivirus / antimalware solution. Read more!
But there is a caveat to using VPNs:
Avoid using free VPN whenever possible 5 Reasons You Need to Stop Using Free VPN Right Now 5 Reasons You Need to Stop Using Free VPN Right Now Free VPNs are very tempting, but wait. So, If you remain thinking of signing up for one, you should read this article first. These are the most significant risks with using a free VPN service. Read more. They can be helpful, but there are other risks and costs associated with them, risks and expenses that aren’t worth taking on if you ask me. We recommend ExpressVPN or one of these other paid VPN networks. The Best VPN Services compiled a list of the best virtual private network (VPN) service providers, which are considered the best, round, and free.
Also read: Joyoshare Media Cutter for Windows
For More Information:https://www.technologybeam.com/reddit-write-for-us/
In addition, read more helpful resources at techcrunchpro