The Right Way To Prepare For Class 9 Math Olympiad
Math Olympiad: Olympiads are competitions in which students compete against other students of a comparable educational level. Such tests encourage pupils to develop abilities in areas such as mathematics, physics, computer technology, reasoning ability, and the English language.
An Olympiad helps a youngster prepare for more competitive tests by providing knowledge that is above and beyond what they learn in school. It always turns out to be beneficial to participate in an Olympiad in some capacity. Olympiads give students an advantage over their peers and help them improve on a personal level, as well as at a national and worldwide level.
Class 9 is the year in which a student establishes the foundation for academics and later career exploration. A Math Olympiad allows a student to solidify their understanding of all of the numerous areas and concepts. Students can have a deeper understanding of the lives of students and learn new skills such as time management and competitiveness.
A Math Olympiad features two stages and a total of 50 multiple-choice questions. The first level lasts one hour and has a total of 60 points. After passing the first level, you go to the second level, which is a 2-hour exam with 70 questions and a total of 100 points.
Logical Reasoning, Mathematical Reasoning, Achievers Section, and Everyday Mathematics are the four sections.
The first segment includes both verbal and nonverbal reasoning exercises.
The second section has questions from Number Systems, Polynomials, Coordinate Geometry, Linear Equations in Two Variables, Introduction to Euclid’s Geometry, Lines and Angles, Triangles, Quadrilaterals, Areas of Parallelograms and Triangles, Circles, Constructions, Heron’s Formula, Surface Areas and Volumes, Statistics, Probability. The third one has the syllabus of Mathematical Reasoning and Quantitative Aptitude.
The last section has Higher Order Thinking Questions based on the topics in the second section.
In order to ensure that a student bags good scores in the Math Olympiad, he/she must keep a few things in mind and follow these steps:
- Design a study plan: Preparing for an Olympiad demands a well-organized study routine. As a result, students must devise an Olympiad preparation schedule that includes the curriculum, key chapters, and difficult concepts that require additional study time. If students have a decent timetable, they will be able to devote additional time to each course and topic.
- Understand the level of difficulty of Olympiad questions: Although the material for Olympiad tests is basically equivalent to that for school boards, Olympiad questions are often more difficult since they assess skills such as observation, application, problem-solving, and analytical ability. To answer these questions, one needs solid conceptual knowledge. As a result, it’s crucial to help learners realize the degree of complexity of Olympiad exam questions so they may adequately prepare.
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the concepts: Olympiad Exam questions are based on conceptual facts, therefore; students must understand each idea and topic in the Olympiad syllabus. For this, students could consult a few of the many good Olympiad exam reference books.
- Solve Previous Year’s Olympiad Exam Papers: In order to participate in Olympiad exams, all students must solve the previous year’s Olympiad exam papers in order to assess their knowledge and skills. Solving previous year’s tests will help you get a sense of the various sorts of Olympiad problems and their levels of difficulty. Students can have a better grasp of their strengths and weaknesses in a certain subject of study after completing these papers and evaluating the validity of their responses. There are papers widely available on the internet if one searches for like – IMO Maths Olympiad Previous Year Question Paper Class 9 2016
- Take online Olympiad tests: Everyone who wants to compete in the Olympics must take an online Olympiad test. Taking online exams will give you a taste of real Olympiads while also helping you improve your exam speed.
- Make notes for revision: Because the Olympiad tests are based on the school’s curriculum, pupils must take notes and recall brief facts for each topic covered in class. This short reference guide will help you learn more rapidly by providing you with future references and updates.
- Don’t be anxious: Students are frequently stressed about exams and are concerned about how well they will perform. It is essential to exercise often and keep your mind fresh in order to absorb and comprehend all of the information.
- Manage your time: At this point in your schooling years, one must balance academics, co-curricular activities, and extracurricular activities. Students have a variety of classes, tuitions, and other responsibilities to complete. Managing your time to study for the Olympiad as well as in between papers is critical. Students have a tendency to start gradually and increase up speed as the exam progresses, causing them to lose time and make absurd blunders. It is preferable to maintain a steady pace from the start.
- Not adhering to a pre-determined strategy: It’s a common blunder committed by nearly every single student. As soon as they receive the question paper, they begin attempting it without any strategy or approach. This may cause students to commit too much time to the first few questions, leaving one with insufficient time to complete the paper on time. As a result, before commencing to attempt the exam, one must first scan the entire paper. The components of the SOF Olympiad exam have varying weightage. In the Achievers Section, each question is worth 2 or 3 points. Attempt to answer those questions first. Regardless of the fact that they are complex, it is recommended that students do not devote too much attention to anyone’s question.
- Failure to Read the Questions Properly: Many individuals skip over the word ‘not’ and jump right into answering the question. Similarly, many of the exam’s questions revolve around figures, graphs, flow charts, and other visual aids. Before attempting to answer such questions, a thorough analysis is warranted. One can improve their understanding of how to read situations appropriately by practicing more with carefully crafted SOF worksheets.
Review The Right Way To Prepare For Class 9 Math Olympiad.