There are three critical areas to address; I focused on the employee, freelancer, and management. I live the three figures until I consolidate myself; you likely have this same routine, culture, or way of life.
Programming or training innately gives rise to teleworking or remote work; these tips apply to those who do similar tasks but not to barbers, cleaning personnel, door-to-door salespeople, or particular cases. Such as selling machines to educational institutions that are closed due to this pandemic, etc. As for the rest, I think these tips will serve someone who does things similar to mine.
For example, I give personalized programming classes using google meet, meet with clients using zoom or skype, and do web projects that I upload to the cloud to see the progress from home.
Table of ContentsToggle
Our countries have forced teleworking, and it is not correct to experience it this way. However, the entire planet is incomplete panic, and only in this way is this situation understood. You have to accept that this was the spark to do it and trust him.
It is true that teleworking or remote work fails when it remains involuntary to comply with it, and this is a serious thing. We fail in teleworking by not preparing for it because bosses generate many video calls to supervise what employees are doing. The problem is that it is time-consuming.
The problem with our culture is that we like to monitor, closely mark people, and see up close what exactly they are doing.
The main problem is wanting to telework the same as in the office. Go to the booth, ask a question, and have immediate answers.
- Separate webcam and good lighting headphones used in cell phones usually work very well.
- Good Microphone.
- Stable internet.
- Look at the camera lens in the video call.
- An ergonomic chair.
- Stand with the correct measurements and standards.
- Do not work on the sofa or in bed. With this, we seek to have the office at home. If you are an employee, it is optional for the human resources manager to visit your space and give you the OK of your space.
- Prepare before a video call, don’t improvise.
- Again “stable internet.”
- Show up on time, show up early to even chat about nonsense until the meeting starts.
- Please turn off your microphone when it is not your turn to speak.
- Come together individually, one laptop per person.
- Again, good lighting “takes care of the work environment.”
- The camera must be on, that impacts. The face of the people must be there.
- Learn to use the video call tool, make a call to your wife or husband, and practice how to use the tool.
- A video call is a work meeting; we do not have breakfast in a meeting room or attend other things; you must be there correctly with the appropriate attention.
- Hygiene and cleanliness: This helps; you must be as you would be in the office. Get up, take a bath, have coffee, and be professional so that communication does not deviate.
What do we lose …?
In everyday life, we get up in the morning, do our things and go to work; there is a lapse, a time/space gap, which allows us to separate home from work. Perhaps we arrive and have coffee, chat with colleagues, and finally sit down to work. We lose that when telecommuting, and to generate effective communication, you must create similar routines to separate work from home.
We lose social spaces, and it gives us anxiety if we do not have answers instantly; take this advice into account so that you learn to wait.
Part of effective communication is to understand that everything must be in writing. If it stays not written, it is not valid, and in teleworking, this is your only support.
The personal tools are:
- Communication, you have to learn to ask and not assume.
- Gestures and distance. Learn to communicate correctly non-verbally through the camera and use the correct emojis to feel the correct tone.
The digital tools are:
The collaborative is a necessary term.
- Email: Gmail.
- Google docs (collaborative documents): For real-time work.
- Instant messages: WhatsApp (groups) and Slack help us with structured conversations online (its philosophy controlled).
- Video conference: Meet, Skype, Zoom, etc.
There are many like Trello, asana, basecamp, Jira for project management. The important thing is to maintain a collaborative concept.
Get a remote job
Be careful because telecommuting does not necessarily work from the beach, mountain, or a place of those that we see in the movies. It will end up being more demanding than an office job, and at the same time, it will be a job that you do in one place.
If you still want to remain with this, then:
- Identify your skills to find your opportunities.
- The market is global.
- Make work find you, develop a good Linkedin profile.
There are many websites where we could register. Google “freelance job.” But the main idea is to be very competitive so that they send you messages and job proposals.
- Be impeccable in your communication; don’t take anything personally, don’t assume a better question, and finally deliver what you promise.
- Confirming is the key.
- Earn confidence by delivering what stood assured on time.
The family is the essential thing; talk to them and establish an agreement or a “spoken contract”: Dear family, I love you all very much, but I am not at home to do housework or to go out to buy bread, or to take out garbage, I won’t be able to eat lunch after hours either.
Use your weekends for them, because being at home is not being with them.
A Manager is an excellent Manager to the extent that he knows how to lead his team.
- Do not over-control or threaten this does not guarantee successful work; the only thing it guarantees is those promising talents leave as soon as they can.
- The best way to ensure the right direction is support and weekly meetings to set achievable goals.
- The result should be the focus.
Learn to rate by results, and don’t be upset if they don’t reply to a message right away.