What Is Project Management? Benefits Of Your Application
In a world that is increasingly projected both at work and professional level and in personal development itself, project management brings benefits and indisputable advantages. Suppose a project is a way to go, or an effective project management is the key to success on that path. Moreover, those who wants to pursue the career in the project management, so they can get PMP Certification Training offering by top authorized educational institutes.
Also read: How does the CNC Milling Machine Work?
A Little History
This post is not about making an exhaustive historical tour on this topic. But I do think it is interesting to highlight how the discipline of Project Management, in one way or another, has stood practiced since the first civilizations in the management of their projects. Great architectural works almost impossible such as the Pyramids of Egypt or the Great Wall of China, are proof of this (also helped by other not laudable practices, obviously)
But it will be in the middle of the last century when organizations begin to apply Project Management tools to complex projects systematically.
In this brief historical overview, it is only fair to name some of the discipline’s fathers. I am going to keep two that I think are very remarkable not to extend myself.
- Henry Gantt (USA 1861-1919). It develops what is known as the five management functions: initiate, plan, execute, supervise, and control.
- In many areas, he remains recognized as the father of modern management.
Both are considered the pioneers of modern [Project Management] techniques.
The Modern era of Project Management
In the 1940s, the US began to manage projects with tools such as the Gannt Diagram or the Job Breakdown Structure (EDT). Likewise, mathematical models such as the Critical Path Method or the PERT technique are beginning to remain developed. Today all of them are classic [project management] tools
From that moment begins its formal recognition as a separate and different discipline from the company’s management.
First Organizations of Project Managers
Once again, during the 1950s, the first entities formed by [project management] professionals began to appear.
- The AACE: American Association of Cost Engineers (1956). Created by experts in planning, scheduling, cost estimation, and also integrated control of costs and deadlines.
The AACE in 1966 published the first integrated process for the management of portfolios, programs, and projects: Framework for Total Cost Management. One of the first documents dedicated to compiling techniques for project management, for example,
- In 1967 IPMA, International [Project Management] Association, has made
- In 1969 the Project Management Institute was born. That in 1981 published the first edition of PMBOK and promoted the PMP Certification or PMP Training(Project Management Professional)
Other milestones are:
- In 1982 the PRINCE2 Methodology was born. The UK drives [project management] methodology.
What is a Project Management
Following the Fundamentals Guide for [Project Management] (PMBOK6), project management consists of:
Through the applicable application and also integration of the [Project management] processes identified for the Project
At the beginning of this post, effective [project management] is not as simple as deciding who, who does whatever, when, and how.
[Project management] incorporates processes, Process Groups, and also Knowledge Areas, where the Project’s scope, communication, budget, risk, time and integration, etc., remain managed.
Benefits of Effective Project Management
What benefits organizations and individuals to carry out effective [project management]? I list some of these benefits :
- Achieve the established objectives ;
- Meet the expectations of the stakeholders;
- Act more predictably, and therefore maintain more control over the Project;
- Hugely increase your chances of success ;
- Carry out a correct delivery of the product ;
- Facilitate the resolution of problems and also incidents;
- React to risks optimally;
- Improve the optimization and use of resources ;
- Make the correct management of the scope, quality, time, and budget of the Project;
- Balance the influence of each of these aspects in Project
- Carry out good change management.
Thanks to effective Project Management, organizations achieve :
- Link the results of your projects with the strategic objectives of the organization and business
- Improve your ability to compete in your market
- Give a better response to changes
Consequences of Poor Project Management
On the contrary, what are the consequences of project development in a lack of direction and optimal management? What does poor [project management] mean?
- Non-compliance with the established deadlines
- Increase in costs
- Low quality in deliverables
- Corruption in the scope of the Project
- Decreased prestige of the organization
- The dissatisfaction of key stakeholders
- Failure to meet the project objectives
Project Management involves applying and integrating several techniques, tools, skills, and also the best practices for achieving the optimal form of the [project] objectives. Thanks to effective [project management], it will be more feasible to achieve the success of the Project, meeting costs, times, and also expected quality. Instead, the organization will improve its way of competing in the market and optimize its resources.
Also read: Cloud Computing – Applications in a Single Touch
Review What Is Project Management? Benefits Of Your Application.